Monday 23 January 2012

Having a 90's moment.



I used to think the 90's was one of the shittiest decades. Now that I'm not living it anymore, I find myself longing for it. Whether it's listening to the music, or watching the TV shows of that time, or the simplicities of being a child and having nothing to worry about. That nostalgic feeling is bittersweet. I remember hearing songs by Daft Punk, Aaliyah, Notorious B.I.G, TLC (etc) and being too young to appreciate the amazingness of it. Now, 13 years + later I find myself listening to more songs of the past then songs of the present.  
The television shows were even better. 90210, Sunset Beach (don’t judge me for watching American soap operas), Sister Sister, Kenan & Kel, watching cartoons on a Saturday morning...All these things made my childhood pretty amazing. 
The diverse fashion during the 90’s was also something to admire- even though looking back on some family snaps, this could be debatable. For the hip hop crowd, it was all about puffer jackets, baggy jeans and timberlands . For the grunge crowd, plaid shirts, ripped jeans and some military boots were the look. We saw the rise of some legendary designers start their careers in the 90’s, with Alexander McQueen and the revival of low waisted jeans,  Martin Margiela, Marc Jacobs for Louis Vuitton, Tom Ford for Gucci and more.
Looking back on it, all these components really made for an amazing decade. Diversity in music, TV, and fashion gave people options on who they want to be, and in general, the 90s was a really fun decade.
Then again, with the famously tacky union jack dress made famous by Geri Halliwell making a comeback, maybe the 90s really was one of the shittiest decades.



2 comments:

  1. I don't think there will ever be a better decade than the 90s.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, looking back on it, the 90's were brilliant.

    ReplyDelete